Friday, February 10, 2006

Stage Coach Pass Road in the Afternoon


Stage Coach Pass Road
c Flying Debris

The photo is from a great little mountain road in Arizona. It's a great drivers road, although the bottom of that hill, just in front of the house, is a scary place to try to find the brake pedal in an Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite, luckily I found it. I wanted to check out the standard Porsche Boxster after having one years’ experience in the Boxster S, so I rented one while on vacation. It really is a wonderful car, much easier to drive than the “S” version due to the 5 speed transmission. Don’t get me wrong, I love the 6 speed, it’s just that the 5 speed is a much smoother transmission for everyday driving; which is what we do, everyday. That said, I did notice the power difference, the S is noticeably more powerful. If you are in the market for a car I highly suggest that you rent one first. You can rent almost any type of car these days, I rented a Boxster S in San Diego a few years ago and then decided to buy one. It was the first time that I had rented a car that close to the border, so I wasn’t expecting to have to sign a pledge that I would not take the car into Mexico. All that I could think was; the last place that I am taking this thing is Tijuana. Simply google “exotic auto rental” and the desired city and you are likely to find at least one agency that specializes in exotic or odd cars. Rentals are also great for teaching someone to drive stick shift cars. I once spent a Christmas afternoon teaching one of my sisters how to drive stick in a Porsche 944 Turbo; do not try that at home, or anywhere else. She lived in New York City at the time so she was just happy to be able to drive. I later gave her lessons in a rented Mini Cooper S, when she was able to back out of an uphill driveway I knew that she had gotten it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home