Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Democratic Drunks and the Sarah Palin Nude


There is a dump on North Ave. named the Old Town Ale House, it is right around the corner from Second City Chicago. Having spent some time at Second City the bar's proximity to the home of improv comedy is no real shock, improv actors are actors after all. As a hint to any Second City students, stupid jokes about Palin, McCain or Republicans in general will get you big time laughs from your instructor(s). Especially if that instructor was left in Chicago when Tina Fey took half of her Main Stage cast to New York with her. Those people can be very bitter and they cling to their bad humor as if it were a Bible. As you can see from the above link the walls are covered with bad art so the Palin painting fits right in, an uncensored version is on their web site. We really should be listening to those actors and artists. Sheesh.
Thanks to the Backyard Conservative who helpfully pointed out that this is from the Chicago Tribune. I think that we can assume that if the Trib has sent their reporters the one mile (Google Maps say that it takes 5 minutes) to North and Wells that they have not found anymore bogus stories from their crack team of reporters in Alaska.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Publia said...

There is something to be said for bad art, but I am not sure what.

1:27 PM  
Blogger El Rider said...

There is a Museum of Bad Art (MOBA) in Mass. One of my sisters is an artist and she was once on the Modern Art Buying Committee for the Art Institute so I have seen a lot of modern art and my usual rule of thumb is: if I can do it I shouldn't pay much attention to the piece. Sometimes I wonder if the artist laughs at his/her patrons on the way to the bank. The Old Town Ale House is full of bad art that could be reasonably called "outsider art" despite the fact that the artist has lived in Chicago for a very long time, he doesn't appear to have had much training.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Publia said...

I am a fan of outsider art, some of which is bad, some of which is by trained artists trying to do outsider art, and some of which is really folk art. Having been to Kentuck, the premier outsider art festival, a couple of times I suppose I need to go see the MOBA. Is it worth it? Is it in Boston?

My rule is similar to yours: If I can do it I shouldn't pay much. That remains spectacularly unhelpful because it is my destiny only to appreciate.

Is the Old Town Ale House worth a visit if I don't like bars?

5:13 PM  
Blogger El Rider said...

The Old Town Ale House really isn't worth it, unless you have been at Second City and want to continue the local vibe. However the Irish bar on Wells across from Second City is a better bar. I've never been to MOBA, my sister told me about it but she has not been there either. It is on the web and I didn't recognize the town's name, meaning that it could even be a suburb of Boston.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home