Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Plug for My Democratic Congressman

I have been pretty tough on my congressman, Rahm Emanuel lately; here and here. I believe that I have been fair but tough. Friday, as a constituent registered with Mr. Emanuel’s office, I received a form e-mail letter from the congressman that contains some great links. The subject of the letter is identity theft, a very serious situation. I have never experienced that situation (knock wood!) but have been the victim of a stolen card number that resulted in a Vegas spree for someone. I received a call on a Saturday morning asking if I was at the Vegas airport trying to book a flight to Seattle. I was eating breakfast in Chicago. They busted the guy and I was lucky, mostly Visa was lucky.

Instead of simply including the supplied links I felt that it would be fair to include the entire letter from Mr. Emanuel. It is a good letter on an important subject and I seriously doubt that he would object. In fact I am sure that he would want a wider audience for such a letter.

Dear ,

Recently, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan announced a new identity theft hotline for Illinois residents. More than 11,000 Illinoisans were victimized by identity theft in 2005, and I applaud the Attorney General for her work in helping consumers affected by this crime. Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the country. Protect your personal information, and check your credit report regularly for evidence of unusual transactions, mistakes or anything that seems out of the ordinary.

Following passage of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act of 2003, you may now order one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. The Federal Trade Commission has set up one central website and toll-free telephone number through which you can order your one free credit report a year.

To order your annual credit report, call 877-322-8228 or visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

Sometimes, though, precautions may not be enough. If you or anyone you know has been victimized by identity theft, please use the resources listed below:Illinois Attorney General's Identity Theft Hotline WebsiteToll-Free Identity Theft Hotline: 866-999-5630TTY Number: 877-844-5491The Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft WebsiteI hope that the information contained in this e-newsletter helps you protect yourself and your family against fraud.

Please feel free to share this e-newsletter by using the fields to the right.

It is an honor to serve you in the U.S. Congress.

Sincerely,
Rahm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home