Thursday, March 02, 2006

I’m Not Sure What to Think of This…

But I’ll give it a go. The Sikh religion requires that orthodox men wear a type of dagger called a kirpan. This story reports that the Canadian Supreme Court has ruled that orthodox Sikhs can carry those daggers into school. I wrote that I don’t know what to think because I know some Sikhs and although in the back of my mind I knew about the dagger thing, I never think about those guys walking around with knives. One of those guys owns a late night convenience store; he should wear a ceremonial M-16. Back to Canada, although the Sikhs that I know are pretty damn peaceful people, so are most of the people I know. With all respect to my Sikh friends, I think that they should be subject to the same rules and laws that the rest of us are subject to. Maybe they just need their own private schools where everybody has a dagger.

I wrote on this in relation to Islam in the end of the third paragraph of this post.

See this link for information on the kirpan and other ceremonial Sikh wear.

Hat Tip: Mike W.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home