Thursday, May 08, 2008

Chicago: the City That Works to Screw You

Photo Copyright: Flying Debris
Ticketed in Chicago for not having a front license plate after a city employee likely knocked it off after running into my truck.

This is an example of a city government run amok and not working for the citizens, it is a very minor example, yet it is illustrative of how city employees often work here in the Democratic utopia known as Chicago. I live near one of the offices for the City Revenue Department and their employees park on the street on my block, no big deal except for the guy who sometimes changes into his work clothes while blasting music at 5:30 AM. Well yesterday morning I happened to be out front at about 4:00 AM (I left a sprinkler running, doh!) and my truck that is always parked out front was fine and there was not a vehicle parked in front of it. When I left my house (around 7:15) there was a Lexus RS (a small SUV) parked in front of my truck and my front license plate and holder had been knocked off, they were lying on the street. Other than that the truck was fine. Not wanting to lose my front plate or get a ticket for not having one I went back inside, got the truck keys and put the plate in front window.

Now I find that situation to be an annoyance, if all you lose in a traffic or parking altercation is a few screws and plastic pieces then you got of easy. I didn't consider it a very big deal even considering that it was very likely that the person who whacked my car is a city employee whose job it is give out parking tickets. My problem started when I received a ticket today for not having a front license plate, the ticket was placed on the windshield over the front license plate (pictured above). That in a small way is how Chicago works, first they run into your car and then they ticket your car for having been run into. Welcome to Barack Obama's Democratic Chicago.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Rider-

You should be able to beat this ticket.

Request a hearing or write a letter explaining the situation. Bring in the photo you took. Also explain how you fixed the situation promptly.

You may also want to go to the nearest police station and fill out an accident report, just to document this. I know there wasn't really any damage. But presenting official documentation in your hearing or contest letter, will just give you more ammo to beat this piece of crap ticket.

If you need any more info, I write for a blog that helps Chicago drivers beat parking tickets.

Check it out (www.theexpiredmeter.com) or e-mail us at: info@theexpiredmeter.com.

Fight it! You should win.

11:46 PM  
Blogger El Rider said...

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion to report the accident, that should help. I will start fighting this Monday afternoon at the Addison St. facility. Thanks again.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home